Northiam has everything expected of a village rich in history- old cottages, fine houses, even a parish-pump on the green. From the restored railway station you can take an exciting ride on the steam train along the Rother Valley either to Tenterden or Bodiam. Alternatively, travel by an enchanting pleasure-boat on the Rother from Northiam to Bodiam.
The fine Church of St Mary's, dating from 1090, houses the Pony and Hand Hearse made for the 1887 Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Near the church a time-battered Oak stands on the Village Green at the spot where Queen Elizabeth stopped on her way to Rye and enjoyed a meal made by George Bishop and family from Hayes Farm. The Virgin Queen left behind in Northiam a lasting memento of Her visit-namely a pair of green damask shoes. In May 1944 four Prime Ministers gathered on the playing fields for a final inspection of the troops of Southern Command before D Day. Their names are recorded on the gates erected by the parish to Commemorate the visit.
The St Francis Hospital for animals flourishes in Northiam on land given by Miss Kitty Comport to the Sussex Blue Cross.
The gardens of the Tudor house Great Dixter have been made famous by Christopher Lloyd, author and television gardener. Great Dixter was bought in 1910 by Nathaniel Lloyd, author of books on brickwork and topiary and restored by Edwin Lutyens. Nathaniel designed the framework of the garden which Christopher Lloyd has made world-renowned with his planting designs.
Another Fine property is Brickwall House originally the home of The Frewen Family. Open to the public on certain days, it is now a College with fine pictures and extensive gardens.